A521.4.4.RB – Listening

Listening
            According to Peters (2009), the best strategy that an organization to be successful is for every member of the organization to be committed to strategic listening rather than a commitment to the strategic plan.  Strategic listening is listening intently to understand.  Johnson (n.d.) said that the epicenter of strategic conversations and excellent communication is listening.  When we listen to someone, it allows the speaker to simplify their thoughts and will have the ability to reflect back on their thoughts with more clarity.
            Peters (2009) stated that to a certain degree, listening has a degree of importance to our profession, but he is challenging us to reflect on possibility being an 18-second manager.  Most recently on our payroll week, I was overwhelmed with payroll, new employee onboarding, and employee relations issue.  When I am processing payroll, I usually close my door with a note outside “please do not disturb, processing payroll” so I can focus on the employees time card accuracy and processing approved paid time off.  One of our dietary aides ignored the sign and insistent to be seen.  I ignored the door knocking but the employee was adamant to be seen.  
            Since the employee was persistent to see me, I thought it must have been important.  So, I decided to open my door, and the employee came in with a pink piece of paper.  I was a little bit annoyed since the pink paper only represents a Time Clock Adjustment form that employees are required to submit to authenticate their missing clock in or clock out time.  At this time, I was a little bit ticked off and want to tell the employee that she could have just placed the form in my inbox.
            I was already of the state of annoyance that I have missed what she was saying while handing me her adjustment form.  When she came in, I was already sitting down in front of my computer trying to continue what I was doing.  All I heard was “this is for my 2-day PTO that my supervisor forgot to approve online and I just want to make sure that I get paid for this pay period”.  Then she mumbled of the reason why she needed to make sure that she gets a full 80-hour work.  When I came back to my senses, the employee was already on her way out, and I can feel that she sensed my annoyance and my unattentiveness, and her reaction was very apologetic for disturbing my time.  I felt very badly for my behavior and wanted to call her back in, but my focus at that time was more on finishing payroll which was due at noon.
            Fast forward, the employee has been avoiding eye contact with me every time I see her in the hallway and try to avoid me when she sees me coming.  I guess I can say that I am one of that 18-second manager.  The employee used to be friendly and welcoming to me who used to think that she can come to my office at any time and is willing to listen to her regardless of whatever issue she may have.  She used to stop by at my office just to say hello and ask how am I doing.  But because of my inattentiveness, I have lost her trust and perhaps respect as her human resources person.        
            Reflecting back, if I have practiced better listening skills rather than being dismissive, I would not have lost the trust of one employee.  Since I have opened my door, I should have given her my full attention and focus.  If I have done so, my dismissive behavior would have turned to empathy understanding why she needed to make sure that she has a full-check.  I was aware that she is a mom leaving with her parents until she can afford a place of her own and her daughter.  She is a divorcee, and the father of her child was not consistent in sending her child support.  Until today, I am still trying to recover her trust and respect.   
As Schilling (n.d.) recommended, I should have maintained an eye contact focusing on her needs and kept an open mind.  I was assuming that it was one of her excuses and I was thinking what is the reason this time.  I have automatically judged her without listening to what she was about to say, and I jumped into conclusion.  What I should have done was strategically listened to every word she said and concentrated on some keywords or phrases, i.e., “I have bills due, and I need to bring my daughter for her doctor’s appointment.”  I would have be more empathetic and understanding if I had placed myself to her shoes.  This was one of my lessons learned situation that caused me an employee’s trust.  
Conclusion
Our workplace of today is culturally competitive, but that does not mean that as leaders, we cannot be honest to admit that we do not always have the answers and own up to the mistakes we commit.  Self-awareness is to our advantage as a leader.  It enables our autonomy to develop and change who we really are.  Gaining better awareness or comprehension of ourselves gives us more significant experience as a unique human being.  As a leader, self-awareness is crucial to our effectiveness in the workplace. 
As Beslin and Reddin’s (2004) open communication is an essential element of the leadership of a particular organization in winning the trust of its stakeholders.  Trust cannot be given but must be earned.  Leaders of today must strive to build trust with their stakeholders rather than just talking about having trust.  Leaders cannot afford to take trust for granted since internal workforce and the external public are increasingly pessimistic (Beslin & Reddin, 2004).  Statements that I now realize are true for leaders like me.
References
Beslin, R. & Reddin, C. (2004). How leaders can communicate to build trust. Ivy Business
            Journal Improving the Practice of Management, November/December Issues.  Retrieved

Johnson, P. J. (n.d.). Strategic listening. Retrieved from:
Peters, T. (2009). Tom Peter’s leadership thoughts: Listening [Video File]. Retrieved from:
Schilling, D. (n.d.).10 steps to effective listening. Forbes. Retrieved from:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A634.9.4.RB – A Reflection of our Learning

A634.3.4.RB – The Harder They Fall

A634.7.4.RB – Ethics and Behaviors