A511.7.3.RB.Module 7 - Inner Work for Authentic

           Northouse (2016) described an authentic leader in three differing perspectives.  In an intrapersonal perspective, authentic leaders lead genuinely and from convictions.  Next, in an interpersonal standpoint, the authenticity of a leader materializes in the interactions between a leader and a follower.  Moreover, from a developmental perspective, authentic leadership is developed over a life span and possibly ignited by a significant life event (Northouse, 2016, p. 196).  
            Bill George (2012) indicated that to become an authentic leader we need to gain self-awareness that involves real-world experiences.  As a Human Resources Professional and leader, the most instructional experiences I have were my interactions with my team at work.  In the workplace, my colleagues and Regional Executive Director are very open with their positive criticism when they notice or realize that I am overworking myself to the extent that sometimes it affects my judgment and quality of work.  As the HR Business Partner of Florida Hospital HealthCare Partners, leadership, and employees consults with me for any employee-related issues and sometimes personal related.  Critically assessing the situation, gave me the ability to recommend an appropriate resolution.  
            Every leader has varied ways of processing their daily experiences or encounters.  I consider my direct report, the Regional Executive Director for Human Resources East Florida Region, as my indirect mentor.  We have a bi-weekly one-on-one meeting where we both reflects on the different things that occurred for the week.  During the meeting, she gives me the opportunity to think about the decisions that I made to resolve business-related issues.  I discuss with her the why behind the decision, and she gives me her honest opinion and sometimes she would recommend a better option for future reference.  The bi-weekly meeting with my Regional Director is central to my success as a leader and as a successful contributor to my organization as a whole.
            In my life, my husband is my best confidant.  Whenever I have a bad day at work, he always knew if something is bothering me, especially now that I am a full-time student.  We made a pact that with our busy schedule, especially mine, Sunday is our day to reflect how things were over the week.  Although I have my bi-weekly open discussion with my Executive Director, there are still things that I am not comfortable discussing with her, not that she does not have my trust.  Sometimes, there were some sensitive work matters that I felt I needed to talk with my husband first before executing appropriate actions to resolve employment issues.  He never failed to give me his honest opinion.  My husband’s honesty is very refreshing.  He opens my mind to different possibilities.
            I have always believed that I will not be as successful as I am today without developing and strengthening my spiritual intelligence.  Vaughn (2002) noted that spiritual intelligence does not only regard mental ability rather, but it is also a correlation of personal to transpersonal as well as the self to spirit.  I always start my day with meditation and with a daily devotional reading the Bible.  Strengthening my spiritual intelligence is consequential to the development of my leadership skills and abilities.
References:

Harvard's Bill George (2012): Inner Work for Authentic Leadership. Retrieved from:             https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmPu2LQ84ts


Northouse, Peter (2015). Leadership: Theory and Practice (7th ed.). Los Angeles, CA: Sage
Publishing

Vaughn, Frances (2002). What is Spiritual Intelligence? Journal of Humanistic Psychology, Vol
42. No. 2, 16-33. Sage Publication.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A634.9.4.RB – A Reflection of our Learning

A634.3.4.RB – The Harder They Fall

A634.7.4.RB – Ethics and Behaviors