A520.1.3.RB_WolfordElvira


Before I started with my MSLD program, I was somewhat aware of how I feel and what I think and want.  I figured I have adequate control over negative feelings such as frustration, anger, and/or disappoints personally or professionally.  I had a strong sense of direction and was truthful to who I am and to my core values.  Having years of experience in leadership, I thought I was very connected with my inner self as a leader and was guided by my firm sense of values.  I was very willing to consider any option(s) or action(s) even to the extent of abdicating control or authority.
On March 2016, I started my first class of MSLD program.  I have learned the importance of critical thinking.  According to Elder, Paul, and Linda (2008), critical thinking is the process of an intellectual discipline of skillfully and actively analyzing, synthesizing and evaluating gathered data generated by experience, reflection or reasoning in regulating or managing our action and belief.  After taking the critical thinking class, the level of my capability to increase in knowledge and engage in self-learning independently, grew exponentially.  I am now able to determine the connections between the diverse pieces of information and knowledge and analyze its value.
Developing my critical thinking skills has enabled me to make better decisions regarding information or data that are of no value and distinguish differing logical errors in resolving current issues or problems.  Re-evaluating my core values helped in defining my morality and conceptions of what is good (Whetten & Cameron, 2016, p. 51).  Critical thinking heightened my emotional intelligence where I was more in tuned with my emotions as well as recognizing and diagnosing the displayed emotions of the people I work with and family and friends.  My awareness of the emotions or other people's feelings makes me more sensitive to their needs.  I am able to resolve workplace issues strategically, and the people I work with are more open to voicing their concern(s).
In the second class of the MSLD program, I become aware of my leadership style through the process of self-evaluation.  The core of self-evaluation is the measure to which we value ourselves and sense our proficiency as individuals (Whetten & Cameron, 2016, p. 64).  As a transformational leader, I thrived on change, exercised “control” through a worthy and inspiring vision of what might be possible and gained the respect and trust of my colleagues, supervisor, and followers.  As a transformational leader, I have learned that I must always be a role model behaving with high standards and “walk the walk” even in times of testing occasions (Dubois, Hanlon, Koch, Nyatuga, & Kerr, 2015).  I have learned to maintain emotional stability, becoming a better communicator and predictor about my audience.  As a critical thinker, I am able to strengthen and choreograph my thoughts in a rational format, and therefore, become a better listener.
My attitude towards change and tolerance of ambiguity has been enhanced.  Physicians’ Practice acquisitions, software enhancements, and organizational change are now common in my workplace nowadays.  Dealing with an overwhelming amount of information, the manner in which I gather and evaluate data and act on that data has improved.  Approaching inevitable change with an open mind, without a pre-determined decision, I am able to develop confident and innovative approaches to improvement.  The ability to pull “it” together when faced with tough decisions due to change is very visible to my colleagues and supervisor.  
Today, I am still being challenged and shaped by my limited experience and am well aware of how those limitations influence the decisions I am making, I can say with certainty that I am on my way to be a better leader.  Continuing to accept my faults and weaknesses and continuing to strive for authenticity will only lead to my betterment as a leader and as an individual with morals and good values.  Self-awareness of my weaknesses and strengths can only enhance the trust of my colleagues and supervisors, it will strengthen my credibility and will increase my leadership effectiveness.  It will be to the benefit of my organization and myself when I continue to acknowledge that I don’t have all the answers, and will make mistakes and strive to be humble and kind and admit that I need the help of others.
References:
Dubois, Melissa, Hanlon, John, Koch, Jodi, Nyatuga, Betty, & Kerr, Nathan (2015). Leadership
Styles of Effective Project Managers: Techniques and Traits to Lead High Performance
Teams. Journal of Economic Development, Management, IT, Finance, and Marketing 7.1
(Mar 2015): 30-46.  Retrieved from:
Elder, Richard Paul and Linda, 2008. The Miniature Guide to Critical Thinking Concepts and
Tools. Foundation for Critical Thinking Press. Retrieved from:             http://www.criticalthinking.org/pages/defining-critical-thinking/766
Whetten, David and Cameron, Kim (2016). Developing Management Skills Ninth Edition.
            Pearson Education, Inc.

 
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A634.9.4.RB – A Reflection of our Learning

A634.3.4.RB – The Harder They Fall

A634.7.4.RB – Ethics and Behaviors