A520.2.3.RB_WolfordElvira

I first listened to Andy Puddicombe’s video entitled “All it takes is 10 Mindful Minutes” last Sunday, August 14th and again last Monday, August 15th.  I thought the best way to respond to this assignment was in the form of a journal entry.  I began to practice the 10 minutes of doing nothing as prescribed by Puddicombe, on Tuesday, August 16th at home and again today, Wednesday, August 17th at work and at home and literally, I am still in awe of how Puddicombe managed to find productive meditation in 10 minutes work.  It was just not working for me.  Perhaps practice makes perfect, or maybe, I was just doing it wrong.  On the other hand, maybe I am not there yet, and someday it will come.
I have practiced yoga on and off and have attended at least 3 sessions of group meditation.  I found that group meditation did not actually work for me.  I was very self-conscious on how the group would react if I ever get into a deeper meditation.  I felt that I was not gaining my expected outcomes from the sessions, so I decided to stop attending even thoughI had paid in advance for the 10 sessions.  Tonight, Thursday, Augst 18th, I have decided to join Headspace.  Headspace is a website co-founded by Andy Puddicombe that shows us how in just ten minutes daily meditation can change our life and teach us to live in mindfulness and the present
Headspace has 10 free 10 minutes meditation session.  I was very skeptical to start the first session.  Nevertheless, I participated on the online 10-minute meditation.  The silent pauses were unfamiliar to me, so I opened my eyes for those pauses.  The result of my first session might not have been what I expected, but I believe I am on the right track.  I found myself literally napping deeply for a minute or two.  When I say napping deeply, I meant I experienced a minute or two of nothingness.  Perhaps my mind and body were too tired, and I was not aware of it. 
According to Puddicombe (2012), our mind whizzes away like a washing machine that keeps on turning trying to deal or process varied emotions that are complicated and confusing. Those conflicting emotions are distractors that pull us away from the most significant and important things of our lives, and subsequently, we are no longer present in the world that we dwell in.  We assume that this is the normal, and we just get on with it thinking that we cannot do anything about it.  I have discovered that doing nothing for 10 minutes daily recharges and relaxes me.  I have observed that I assess workplace issues or employee relations with a new perspective.  A more calm and balanced perspective.
Last Friday, our Corporate Labor Counsel informed my HR Executive Director and me of an EEOC Charge.  Normally, my reaction would be anxiousness, and I would attempt to contact the employee that I know had instigated the charge.  But this time, I told our Legal Counsel that I had anticipated the outcome, and I have all the documentations that they may need to defend or arbitrate on behalf of the company.  Today is my fourth day of 10 minutes meditation and doing nothing.  My focus and self-control have improved.  Doing nothing for 10 minutes every day has really helped me in improved how I deal with stress and anxiety. 
I am positively sure that my 10 minutes of daily meditation and of doing nothing is making a difference in my life.  In fact, my husband who is in recovery from shoulder surgery affirmed that the daily 10 minutes of meditation lessens his anxiety and has re-shaped his perspective and his ability to deal with the pain.  Whetten and Cameron (2012) calls it as psychological resiliency.  Psychological resiliency is an individual’s ability to restore to its original condition after sustaining trauma, threat or challenge.  It is the person’s capacity to defy or repel harmful stressors.  It is improved by concentrating in meaningfulness in work, reciprocity, and gratitude.  Being mindful of the present moment of utmost importance so as to avoid constant wandering of the mind and lessens our experience of unhappiness.
References:
Headspace Treat Your Head Right. Retrieved from: https://www.headspace.com/how-it-works
Puddicombe, Andy (2012). All it takes is 10 mindful minutes.  Retrieved from:
Whetten, David and Cameron, Kim (2016). Developing Management Skills Ninth Edition.

            Pearson Education, Inc.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A634.9.4.RB – A Reflection of our Learning

A634.3.4.RB – The Harder They Fall

A634.7.4.RB – Ethics and Behaviors