A520.7.3.RB_WolfordElvira

         Whetten & Cameron (2016) defined empowerment as giving individuals the autonomy to do what they want to do instead of asking them to do what we want them to do.  The foundation of empowerment is giving up the power or the control and instead let others set up their goals, make appropriate decisions accomplishing results and receiving compliments and rewards.  When supervisors or managers who have developed the skills of empowerment, they accelerate their effectiveness in the workplace because the source of empowerment is internal.  The primary source of empowerment is within the individual rather than social acceptance, political support or entitlement.
            When I joined Florida Hospital Memorial Medical Center, I was hired as a temporary recruiter.  Although considered as a contractor at that time, the Executive Director of Human Resources for the East Florida Region, gave me the full autonomy to analyze a candidate’s experience and skills and make appropriate recommendation(s) to the Hiring Manager.  She encouraged me to make appropriate decisions to decline candidate(s) as I see fit.  The Executive Director’s trust and confidence in my skills and abilities were very influential and impactful to the hospital’s hiring managers.  It was a domino effect and very empowering.  We were hiring the right candidates, and our retention rate increased.
            Fast forward, my temporary employment became a full-time employee as HR Generalist and was promoted to a Senior HR Manager position for Florida Hospital HealthCare Partners a physician group for the East Florida Region.  I was empowered and treated as a critical element of the company not only by my direct supervisor but by the Chief Operating Officer, the Vice Presidents of the East and West Division, as well as by our Vice President for Finance.  I worked diligently with Legal Department and Directors of Practice Operations in developing policies and procedures focused on the Providers Group (Physicians, CRNAs, ARNPs, and Physician Assistants).  The freedom and autonomy graced to me by the executive leaders had increased my sense of accountability, responsibility, and work ownership which heightened my productivity and excellent performance.  Knowing that there is a human resources expert that is solely focused on finding strategic ways in retaining, developing, and training not only the regular employees but also managers and directors, gave physicians confidence to the FHHCP Executive Leaders that their primary focus is the success of their practices.
            Today, I give my team the same freedom and autonomy to be more independent in the way they accomplish their tasks.  Yes, there are protocols in place for compliance and safety purposes but, that does not mean that they cannot go far and beyond to be more innovative in accomplishing their tasks.  I always encourage my team to collaborate with outside entities other than our team to achieve our departmental and organizational goals.  I empower my team not fearing in exchanging their ideas in an open and honest manner.  There was a famous saying by Hellen Keller that states, “Alone we can do so little: together we can do so much.”  Collaboration empowers any organization in the strategic completion of meaningful projects and initiatives.
References:
Whetten, David and Cameron, Kim (2016). Developing Management Skills Ninth Edition.
            Pearson Education, Inc.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A634.9.4.RB – A Reflection of our Learning

A634.3.4.RB – The Harder They Fall

A634.7.4.RB – Ethics and Behaviors