A632.5.4.RB - How Protected are Your Protected Values

Protected values (PVs) are values that are sacred and antiquated that some individuals believe that should not be sacrificed for any satisfying benefits regardless of how large or small the benefits are.  I believe that my protected values have the most significant influence on my attitude and behavior.  Unfortunately, there were times that I found myself violating those protected values that I try to adhere.
I grew up with a family who values life and believes that every life is valuable and precious.  Growing up in the Catholic faith, I always have found that abortion is a sin and unacceptable.  As a volunteer for our youth group at church, there were times that I was asked by one of our youth what would I do if my daughter would consider abortion.  I have always replied that the situation will never arise, but if confronted with the situation, I would express my opinion to my daughter that abortion could never be an option.  We will do what we can to raise her child.
Then, I was faced with the most unexpected situation.  My youngest daughter who is residing in the Philippines got pregnant by her current boyfriend.  She has been separated from her husband with two beautiful girls.  The father of my two granddaughters threatened her that she will never see her girls if she bore another child.  For fear of losing her girls, she secretly aborted her two-month-old baby.  The abortion was not safely done and resulted in infection.  She was hospitalized for three days without my knowledge.  My older sister who took care of her while hospitalized contacted me and told me everything.  
I was very surprised of how I felt when I learned about my daughter’s decision of aborting her child.  I was very disappointed yet, I was very thankful that she was safe and well.  We had a long talk, and I could never find myself to blame her or tell her how wrong her decision was.  My protected value was not substantial in regards to my firm belief that abortion is wrong.  I still do believe that it is wrong, but I found that I can forgive the wrong when it comes to my own child.
Another protected value that I adhere to is to treat every single individual with respect and justly.  Members of the workforce have to be paid accordingly based on their skills, abilities, and experience.  When I was managing an account in a manufacturing industry, I fought very hard for our temporary workers to be paid more than the minimum wage.  Our workers may be uneducated and underprivileged, they were very hardworking individuals who were trying to get paid fairly to pay their bills and afford food.  I refused to settle for what the company was going to pay our workers.  I talked to my temporary employees and gave my word that if they work hard and report to work every day on time that I will fight for their rights and hourly pay rates.  Although not everyone kept our agreement with hard work and reporting to work timely, majority kept their words, and the company was very satisfied with their productivity rate and performance.  
I value treating our children with dignity and respect.  I have always believed that our children are our future.  I could never stand watching the news that reveals a violation of a child’s innocence.  An individual who violated a child deserves to be punished by law to all extent.  Children are a precious gift from God and are to be loved and taken care of with respect.  Violating their rights and innocence are unforgivable. 
Before the beginning of this exercise, I was very sure that I could never compromise the values and beliefs that are most important to me.  Knowing what I value most makes my personal decision-making a lot easier.  Having self-awareness of what I value most and what my personal beliefs are, makes me move towards a solution of my problems instead of running away from my problems.  At work, I understand that I might have to trade-off some of my protected values to gain the result that is beneficial to my team and my organization as a whole.
Reference:
Hoch, S. J., & Kunreuther, H. C. (2005). Wharton on making decisions. (1st edition.).

Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons Inc.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A634.9.4.RB – A Reflection of our Learning

A634.3.4.RB – The Harder They Fall

A634.7.4.RB – Ethics and Behaviors