A632.5.5.RB - Protected Values in Decision Making

Based on the examples presented in the video by Dan Gilbert, I have learned that human beings make constant decision to negate from the unknown.  As an excellent example of this is when Gilbert (2005) discussed that after the horrifying event of 9/11, many travelers stopped traveling via air because of fear of terrorism as a result of the 9/11 incident.  Unfortunately,  according to statistics, there were more individuals killed traveling by land rather than people who died in 9/11.  We become almost paralyzed with the uncertainties we faced daily that our decision making is often blinded by our emotions which are often times not related to the circumstance we are facing.  We need to be able to control our emotions that are negative by accepting the uncertainties rather than trying to resolve them.  This way, we can center our time and energy on making decisions that are best whenever we are faced with outcomes that are uncertain.
Gilbert (2005) stated that our tendency to connect our past causes us to pass up for deals that are better.  Growing up I value a good family stable relationship.  When I met the father of my four children, I was very confident that he will be a good husband and will be a good father to my future children.  Unfortunately, he did not turn out to be.  He was very controlling and abusive.  My life with him and my kids were a miserable one.   He physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually abused my children and me.  As a woman of faith, I believed that everyone has a chance to change.  Unfortunately, the father of my children’s behavior and attitude became worst that I have decided to leave.
After the relationship, I knew I have met good men who were going to be a good father to my children and were going to be a good husband, but I have chosen to pass on the chances not knowing if my intuition was right or wrong.  I decided to keep on passing out for the real men good men that I have encountered due to fear of being wrong again.  But I found out, that as long as I keep on living my personal values, knowing what I want, I will be successful, and I was not willing to divert from those protected values.  When I met my husband, Ed, I knew then that he was the man that I was looking for.  He was the man who understood and respected my values and beliefs.  My protected values, in this situation, had 100% influenced my decision-making. 
As leaders, we need to be able to trust our intuition, trust ourselves to make the right personal or business decisions, and most especially, we need to know what we want right now right here.  We have to hone our skills of expertise in our own field so as to avoid the chance of overthinking.  Being confident with the decisions we make and not second guessing ourselves can save us time and energy remaining calm in times of distress making excellent personal or business decisions.  We are just human and making mistakes or making wrong decisions are inevitable.  It just a matter of how we accept uncertainties that we face and take those mistakes as opportunities for self-development and improvement.
            Gilbert (2005) also stated that comparing changes things or situations.  One of the things that I value most is my strong relationship with my most valued friends.  I once decided to sever my relationship with one of my employer due to some personal conflict between my supervisor and me.  Respect from my supervisor and colleague was and is still paramount to me.  Before I left the organization, I was offered a management position with a company where one of my close friends once worked.  Although I wanted the position, the compensation, and benefits that came with it, I decided not to accept the offer. 
Before I gave my decision to the individual who offered me the job, I sat down with my friend and told her that I received an offer to replace her.  Her angst and dismay with her former company were very evident even if she had tried so hard to hide it.  When I told her that, I will not be accepting the offer; there was a hint of relief in the air.  To be honest, I felt good about my decision.  At that time, it might have been perceived as a negative outcome in my professional life, but personally, I gained a faithful and loyal friend forever.  As proven, my protected values always have great influence to my decision-making.  My respect to my family and friends will always take precedence to my decision-making.
Decision-making is vital to our daily lives.  As human beings, it is inevitable that we will make mistakes in our decision process.  My decision to decline the position offer was not only based on my loyalty to my friend but also in fairness to the company and the team that I will be joining.  Through my friend, I have learned some business operations and behaviors that I thought was not sufficient or appropriate.  I did not want to bring in my biased perceptions to the organization and the team.  I felt that I will be setting myself up for failure and bring the team along with my failure as a leader.  Declining the offer brought me to where I am now.  The company and my Regional Executive Director as well as my Executive Leadership Team, value my expertise, input, and contributions.
Reference:
Gilbert, Dan (2005). Why we make bad decisions. Retrieved from:
Hoch, S. J., & Kunreuther, H. C. (2005). Wharton on making decisions. (1st edition.).

Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons Inc.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A634.9.4.RB – A Reflection of our Learning

A634.3.4.RB – The Harder They Fall

A634.7.4.RB – Ethics and Behaviors