A521.6.4.RB – Secret Structure

Secret Structure
            Excellent storytellers use the technique of reminding their audience of the status quo and then lead the audience to a better pathway revealing a conflict that requires a resolution.  According to Duarte (2012), the tension that conflict brings helps the storytellers in persuading their audience to a new behavior moving them in the pathway from what is to what could be.  University of Leicester’s Student Learning Development (n.d.) department recommended that the ideal structure of presentation must include an informative and welcoming introduction, an understandable series of main events that are staged in a sequence that is logical, and lastly, purposeful and clear ending or conclusion.
            Based on Duarte’s (2011) recommended techniques, I would start my future presentation just the way she described it as establishing the what is.  By introducing of how I become who I am today through by my upbringing then at the same time present my vision of what could be, letting my readers connect to my past and give them a chance to connect their own vision of what could be.  This select interaction or connection would create a bond between my audience and I and open themselves to hear and listen with curiosity my notion of change.
            The body or the middle of my presentation should go back and forth between what is and what could be.  By doing so, I am trying to establish the normalcy to be unappealing at times and yet trying to draw them back towards my adopted idea of what could be.  As Duarte (2011) puts it, going back and forth from what is to what could is like sailing where one sail against the wind and the sailor find a wind resistance that gives the sailor more reason to move the boat back and forth to capture the wind.  So, when I move my story move back and forth from what is to what could be, my audience might find their present state of mind erratic, Duarte (2011) said that it’s okay.
            Lastly, ending or the last turning point of my presentation will be a call to action (Duarte, 2011).  I need to bring my audience to a final state of mind where they find new gratification with the introduction of what our world would be with my new idea.  Which meant if the audience and I will take my new presented idea into action, that we both could all be a better leader or better person as a whole.
Conclusion
            In summary, an excellent presentation should be structurally and carefully defined for the presentation to make the best impact to the audience.  It should focus on a series of elements that are the primary focus points supported by befitting components.  The transitions from the what is what could be should smoothly link so that the audience will have a clear understanding of the presenter’s argument or development.  The introduction and conclusion of a presentation are essential elements to validate or demonstrate a clear objective for the presenter.  It would also be of importance to define future reward to show the audience that being on board with the presenter’s call to action, it is worth their time and effort and meet their needs as well.
References
Duarte, N. (2011, November). The secret structure of great talks [Video File]. Retrieved from
https://www.ted.com/talks/nancy_duarte_the_secret_structure_of_great_talks
Duarte, N. (2012, Oct 31). Structure your presentation like a story. Harvard Business Review.
            Retrieved from https://hbr.org/2012/10/structure-your-presentation-li
Student Learning Development (n.d.). Structuring a presentation. University of Leicester.
Retrieved from https://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/ld/resources/presentations/structuring-presentation

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A634.9.4.RB – A Reflection of our Learning

A634.3.4.RB – The Harder They Fall

A634.7.4.RB – Ethics and Behaviors